[dm-devel] concurrent invocations of multipath on same mapped device

goggin, edward egoggin at emc.com
Wed Mar 30 21:46:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:14:13 +0200
christophe varoqui <christophe.varoqui at free.fr> wrote
> That was the idea, yes.
> In early design, multipath was an all-or-nothing thing.
>
> As it evolved to trim its scope to specific multipaths, I
> thought it was
> not necessary to keep it from running in parralel on different
> multipaths.
>
> I eyeballed the code and didn't see a justification to keep it running
> alone.
>
> Did I miss something important there ?

Not sure.  I agree that servicing different maps in parallel is
a good thing to do ... but what keeps multiple invocations of
multipath from running concurrently on the same multipath mapped
device?  I think nothing does and in this case, I think there is
nothing that guarantees a time ordering of path related actions.
Not clear if this is a problem though.