[dm-devel] snapshot deadlock when logical volume is busy?

cfeng at plasmon.cn cfeng at plasmon.cn
Fri May 13 09:43:44 UTC 2005

Hi folks,

       When I create multiple snapshots on a logical volume that is being
busy written to, the lvcreate command becomes dead when the third or fourth
snapshot is created on a single logical volume. The process that writes to
the logical volume also dies. "Dies" here means the program doesn't return,
nor can it be killed by pressing CTRL-C or "kill" command. The system is
still responsive though, and I can login to run some other commands. But
once the error condition happens if I run any command that accesses the
logical volume, it also dies.

       This problem was found on Fedora Core 4 (2.6.11-1). I also tried it
with the unstable dm patches and it doesn't cure.

       Is this a known problem? I've searched the Internet and found some
folks discussing I/O scheduler issue in 2.6 kernel snapshot. Any plan to fix
it?

Thanks,

Charles