[dm-devel] Multipathing using device mapper howto?

Josef Whiter jwhiter at redhat.com
Fri Oct 28 20:36:20 UTC 2005

Bruen, Mark wrote:

> I'm just beginning to look at device mapper to multipath SAN luns.
> I've been searching for some time and can't find a simple reference on
> how to create the multipathed devices from the same luns presented to
> two or more HBA paths. Is there a source for that information?
> Thanks.
>    -Mark
>
> --

I don't know of any external sources, but the quick and dirty way is to
first fdisk your /dev/sd devices, and then edit your /etc/multipath.conf
file and comment out hte lines

devnode_blacklist {
        devnode "*"
}

and then uncomment out the lines

defaults {
        multipath_tool  "/sbin/multipath -v0"
        udev_dir        /dev
        polling_interval 10
        default_selector        "round-robin 0"
        default_path_grouping_policy    multibus
        default_getuid_callout  "/sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/%n"
        default_prio_callout    "/bin/true"
        default_features        "0"
        rr_wmin_io              100
        failback                immediate
}

Then reboot, and it should work.  You're devices should show up in
/dev/dm-#, then all you want to do is do a kpartx -a on /dev/dm-# and it
will create a new /dev/dm-#+1 for the partitions (ie if my disk was
/dev/dm-0 and i had one partition, and i ran kpartx -a i would get
/dev/dm-1.  its equivalent of /dev/sda and /dev/sda1).  Thank you,

Josef

--
Josef Whiter, RHCE
Global Support Services