[dm-devel] [multipath-tools] multipath -ll and offline devices

Stefan Bader Stefan.Bader at de.ibm.com
Mon Sep 26 09:08:05 UTC 2005

Hi Christophe,

looks good. After setting a device offline it is reported as failed by
'multipath -ll'.
Just calling 'multipath' will remove the offline device which makes sense.
The path
can be re-established by calling multipath again after returning the
device to online
state.

Thanks.
Stefan

SW Linux on zSeries Development & Services
Stefan.Bader at de.ibm.com
  When all other means of communication fail, try words.

Christophe Varoqui <christophe.varoqui at free.fr>
Sent by: dm-devel-bounces at redhat.com
26.09.2005 09:58
Please respond to
device-mapper development

device-mapper development <dm-devel at redhat.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [dm-devel] [multipath-tools] multipath -ll and offline devices

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 03:56:50PM +0200, Stefan Bader wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got a report about strange behaviour of "multipath -l" if one of the
> devices that are used for
> multipathing is set offline. In that case the code in libmultipath
> (discovery.c) just ends processing
> and the output is incomplete.
>
> The problem is that setting a scsi device offline (through sysfs state
> attribute) will remove the
> device node in /dev. And this will cause pathinfo to abort which gives
no
> output at all.
> This looks strange and in that situation the path could be assumed as
> failed. On the other hand
> if the device node just had been removed "failed" wouldn't be a correct
> state.
>
> One solution might be to use the state attribute of the scsi device
> (wasn't that once called online?
> *sigh*) to check for an offline device and set the path state to failed
in
> that case. Or should the map
> get updated as soon as the device is set offline, to remove the path?

Thanks for the report,

I merged a fix.
Can you report on its behaviour ?

Regards,