[dm-devel] creating partition mappings with different delimiters

Philip R. Auld pauld at egenera.com
Tue Apr 4 14:46:12 UTC 2006

Rumor has it that on Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:36:23AM -0400 Eddie Williams said:
> On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 09:24 -0400, Philip R. Auld wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Rumor has it that on Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 11:23:18PM +0200 Christophe Varoqui said:
> > > I'm inclined to leave it that way, if not only to discourage people to
> > > partition multipathed devices :)
> > >

> > Why do you want to discourage partitioning multipath devices? That
> > seems to me to be a requirement.
>
> It seems to me that volume managers, aka LVM or the like, is where folks
> should be heading and the faster we can move them in that direction the
> better.  The volume managers provide so much more flexibility than
> partitions.

Maybe so. But they also add another layer of complexity for
booting. I'd like the steps between me and a successful boot
to be as complex as required but no more so.

Cheers,

Phil

> Eddie
>
> --

Philip R. Auld, Ph.D.  	        	       Egenera, Inc.
Software Architect                            165 Forest St.
(508) 858-2628                            Marlboro, MA 01752