[dm-devel] Device Probing at boot time

Shahsandeep Bhavana sbhavana at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Feb 8 06:03:45 UTC 2006

Hi,

  I want know how the device mapper knows about the various logical volume
devices and their mapping tables at boot time.

Actually, I have implemented a new disk-allocation policy in LVM2 called
snap-aware. Now, whenever I create a logical volume  using this allocation
policy, it is visible and available for use until I reboot the machine. On
reboot, LVM is able to read information about this logical volume from the
metadata , but the device mapper loses all information about it including
the path entries in /dev.

However, when I keep the allocation algorithm same and only change the
name of the allocation policy to Contiguous, everything works fine.

So, I am wondering how can the name of an allocation policy effect the
device mapper on reboot.

Bhavana