[dm-devel] current status of mirroring in devel cycle?

Administrator admin at photoresearchers.com
Wed Jan 18 19:05:46 UTC 2006

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight into the current status of
mirroring in the development cycle.  Based on the recent discussion on this list
and the outstanding bugs in bugzilla, it appears that the much-appreciated
effort is largely being directed at snapshots and multipath at the moment.

However I noticed this message in the RHEL4 U3 beta announcement:

 > ** Please note that although the beta release notes describe
 > ** LVM mirroring support, this feature will not be included in
 > ** this Update.

What does that mean in terms of functionality?  For example, I have a RHEL4
server from which I'm itching to offline one of its dm devices for
maintenance/repair/upgrade.  Ideally I'd like to use pvmove to shift its data
onto other available PVs; with backups available I'm not sure I am as concerned
with "supported" so much as "stable".  Will this be possible in RHEL4 U3, or
must I modify it with upstream patches or use a more recent 2.6 kernel?  Or is
this kind of operation still considered unstable such that manual coying on the
filesystem level is still recommended?

Thanks,
Brian