Re: [dm-devel] Hard drives shutting themselves off in RAID mode

On 14 Jun 2006, Arno Wagner wrote:

> WD drives are misdesigned in some way that they need sometimes
> very long to respond to commands. I think it is a quality issue.
> WD itself has "RAID ready" drives that don't do this.
>
> I have run TB sized arrays of Seagate and Maxtor drives with
> Linux software RAID for years now and never, ever had this issue.
> My advice is to dump the WD drives and get others.

I was _really_ hoping it wouldn't have to come to that.

But I honestly don't get it. If the drives behave when accessed
individually, what is it that software raid does so differently that
makes them act like this?

Kind regards,

Tom Wirschell