[dm-devel] Hard drives shutting themselves off in RAID mode

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 20:29:12 UTC 2006

Tom,

I did not review your e-mail in total, but using lots of SATA drives
in a big RAID array is not something I would attempt with 2.6.17 or
older kernels.  (I know 2.6.17 is not even out yet.).

In 2.6.17-mm there is a huge SATA error handler (EH) rewrite.  Is is
planned to hit the stable Linus kernel with 2.6.18 towards the end of
the summer, but even then it will only have a few of the actual
drivers modified to use the EH infrastructure.

I would repost your problem to the lkml-ide list and see if they think
that the new EH should help you, and when/if your controller will be
using the new EH infrastructure.

FYI: that is linux-ide at vger.kernel.org: sata is discussed there, no
need to subscribe, they will cc you on responses.

Also, there is a ton of testing going on with the new EH, so if your
willing to be a guinea pig, I'm sure you will get a lot of support
from the dev. team and get your specific driver updated ASAP.

HTH
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer