Re: [dm-devel] Hard drives shutting themselves off in RAID mode

On 6/18/06, Rune Saetre <rune saetre netcom-gsm no> wrote:
Hi

> Arno Wagner:
>> If you can test it with reasonable effort and cost (e.g. put some of
>> them on another PSU), you might want to do that.
>
> Is that safe?

Don't know how safe it is to use different PSU's, but I have done it with
success several times on old hardware used for testing. I can't think of
any reason you should run into trouble if ground is common, and the disks
are powered up first.

Its the common ground part that can be challeging.  I'm not an expert
of PC powersupplies, but in general power supplies have a floating
ground, so if you have two of them plugged in the same AC power, you
will still not have a common ground on the DC side.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group