[dm-devel] run multipath at boot?

andysayshi andysayshi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 17:06:19 UTC 2006

hey,

multipath v0.4.5
RHEL ES4 U2
2.6.9-22

we have dm-mulitpath setup and everything works fine. noticing tho, that
upon bootup, devices aren't created. (/dev/mapper doesnt have the alises).
we would have to run 'multipath' then 'mount -a' to mount up the devices.

i've been looking on line to see how to have the system take care of this
during boot up so that once it's finished booting up, it'll scan so that
those mounts will be there automatically.

there were mentions that it's taken care of in /etc/rc.sysinit, and i see
entries in there for multipath, so im not sure why its not working.

any ideas? lemme know if you need more info.

from rc.sysinit:

# LVM2 initialization
if [ -x /sbin/lvm.static -o -x /sbin/multipath -o -x /sbin/dmraid ]; then
    if ! LC_ALL=C fgrep -q "device-mapper" /proc/devices 2>/dev/null ; then
        modprobe dm-mod >/dev/null 2>&1
    fi
    echo "mkdmnod" | /sbin/nash --quiet >/dev/null 2>&1
    [ -n "$SELINUX" ] && restorecon /dev/mapper/control >/dev/null 2>&1
fi

if [ -c /dev/mapper/control ]; then
    if [ -f /etc/multipath.conf -a -x /sbin/multipath ]; then
        modprobe dm-multipath >/dev/null 2>&1
        /sbin/multipath -v 0
    fi

    if [ -x /sbin/dmraid ]; then
        modprobe dm-mirror > /dev/null 2>&1
        /sbin/dmraid -i -a y
    fi

    if [ -x /sbin/lvm.static ]; then
        if /sbin/lvm.static vgscan --mknodes --ignorelockingfailure >
/dev/null 2>&1 ; then
            action $"Setting up Logical Volume Management:" /sbin/lvm.static
vgchange -a y --ignorelock
ingfailure
        fi
    fi
fi

# chkconfig --list multipathd
multipathd      0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

thanks.

andy