[dm-devel] Unable to get INQUIRY vpd 1 page 0x0

Patrick Mansfield patmans at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 14 17:09:16 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:03:11PM -0800, li nux wrote:
> --- Patrick Mansfield <patmans at us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 03:00:46AM -0800, li nux
> > wrote:
> > > On doing a '/etc/init.d/boot.udev start' or
> > 'multipath
> > > -v2 -d' i get following error for all the devices:
> > >
> > > creating device nodes 0:0:0:0: sg_io failed status
> > 0x0
> > > 0x1 0x0 0x0
> > > 0:0:0:0: Unable to get INQUIRY vpd 1 page 0x0.
> > > 0:0:0:1: sg_io failed status 0x0 0x1 0x0 0x0
> > >
> > > Can somebody have an idea, what i need to correct.
> >
> > You can run scsi_id manually like:
> >
> > 	scsi_id -g -s /block/sda
> > 	scsi_id -g -s /block/sdb
> >
> > Or for whatever devices are at 0:0:0:0 and 0:0:0:1
> >

> This also gives the same error
> 0:0:0:1: sg_io failed status 0x0 0x1 0x0 0x0
> 0:0:0:1: Unable to get INQUIRY vpd 1 page 0x0.
> error calling out /sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/sda

Where did the "error calling out" come from if you are running scsi_id
from the command line?

> Why it is enquiring page 0x0, vpd enquires from page
> 0x80 or 0x83, right ?

No. See the SCSI SPC spec, vital product data parameters, or look at
scsi_id source code. Page 0 gives a list of the supported vpd pages.

You can override scsi_id to skip page 0, and use vpd page 0x80 or 0x83.

> > Also try normal read/write to the devices.
> >

> This works
>
> > And you should have posted the full dmesg output
> > (that includes all
> > SCSI and perhaps PCI messages).

It might help if you supply more information ... also your configuration
and distro.

> > The devices are getting a host status of 1, that is
> > a DID_NO_CONNECT and
> > generally means the initiator could not talk to the
> > target (the linux
> > driver or hardware can't communicate with the disk),
> > it is also used by
> > linux scsi core when it kills IO (like when a device
> > is hot-unplugged
> > while IO is in progress).
>
> You are right, The devices were hot-unplugged and then
> new devices were hot-plugged. But udev should take
> care of these events and should refresh its
> device-name mappings accordingly ?

Yes.

> After a rebooted, new disks under /proc/partitions
> looks like cciss/c0d0p1 etc.
> how should i run scsi_id on these ?

I thought that was what you did above ...  I don't know about cciss, and
have never used it.

If this is a problem with the cciss devices, you have to figure it out or
find someone that knows more about them.

I guess they don't support VPD page 0x0, but are failing in a very weird
way.

-- Patrick Mansfield