[dm-devel] [RFC] New interface for dm-io to handle timed requests

Stefan Bader Stefan.Bader at de.ibm.com
Wed Mar 15 15:33:56 UTC 2006

dm-devel-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 14.03.2006 21:15:10:

> Stefan Bader wrote:
> > The ideal solution would be to have an interface in the block layer
that
> > allows us to cancel any submitted requests. But since such a change
will
> > take quite a lot discussions and work, we want to emulate such a
> > behavior in the dm core for now.
> >

> The scsi people and some block people have been talking about moving
> more error handling functionality into the block layer for a while and
> it is slowing moving that way. It could probably be done faster if
> people did not concentrate on one subsystem :)

It is not that much about error handling. More about policy. If the
subsystem decides that io took enough time or maybe it just doesn't
want to go on (could be a force umount...) it would be nice to be
able to stop lower level drivers from doing error recovery. Thus
the idea of stopping a submitted request.

The changes to the core now shall fake this as long as there isn't
such a functionality in the kernel with an interface that can handle
this.

> Maybe you should post to lkml and linux-scsi and get some responses from

> them before adding it to dm core. If a post already went out to those
> list my fault for missing it.

No it didn't. I guess lkml is a good point. I am not sure about
linux-scsi.
As it is not related specifically to scsi...

Stefan Bader

SW Linux on zSeries Development & Services
Stefan.Bader at de.ibm.com