[dm-devel] patch to discovery.c to still get path priority forpaths with path state of PATH_DOWN

Dave Wysochanski dave.wysochanski at redhat.com
Tue Nov 14 14:26:32 UTC 2006

Ed,

Are you saying that there's no way in the path checker to distinguish
between this kind of path and a path that is genuinely down?  By "down",
I mean "fails ioctl" either directly or with an unexpected
CHECK_CONDITION (this seems to be what PATH_DOWN means in the code today
for all the path checkers).  Can you return another state in your path
checker for this type of path/LUN?

IMO, if at all possible, it would be good to leave "PATH_DOWN" with its
current meaning and not call the priority callouts for paths in this
state.  If the priority callouts could obtain priorities without SG_IO
succeeding, it might make sense, but this is not the case today.  If you
once had a good priority because you could get a command through, now
you call it when the path is down it will be replaced with an incorrect
one.

Arguably the states are fuzzy and "types of paths" are mixed in with
"path states" which leads to the fuzzyness/confusion.  Right now I don't
have a good enough feel for it to offer clarifying suggestions though
other than the attached comment patch which tries to clarify the meaning
of each state as it is in the code today.