[dm-devel] Usage question: how to access partitions?

After configuring multipath access to a LU, I partitioned it with fdisk.
fdisk complained about failing to re-read the partition table,
blockdev --rereadpt failed as well.

No new devices were created for the new partitions. I guess
there are udev rules to do that, are there?

How do I get the partition to become available, what should be the
partitions device names in /dev?

I'm using SLES9sp3

Thanks for pointers/advice
Dan