Re: [dm-devel] device mapper integrated loops - and one more year !

On Oct 6, 2006, at 4:38 AM, David Guyon Martin wrote:

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 20:40:05 +0100 Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

Something like:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/agk/patches/2.6/ editing/dm-loop.patch
now perhaps?

(And there are patches for dmsetup to become a drop-in losetup replacement.)

Yes! This patch add a new file to the kernel tree, dm-loop.c:
"This implements a loopback target for device mapper allowing a regular
file to be treated as a block device."

Great !!! At last :)
It seems this dm-loop is quite new, less than a month...
As I understand it I need kernel 2.6.18-rc7 to use it, right ?

I really thank you a lot for your quick answer and link.

Does anyone has yet a feedback about this dm-loop ?

I know Heinz Mauelshagen has been looking at it and already has some performance improvements. Perhaps he'll post the updated patches soon.

 brassow