[dm-devel] multipath with dual Compaq SA462 connected to MSA500

Andreas Huck dm-devel at huck.it
Tue Oct 10 10:21:13 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'd like to enable some sort of multipath to a RAID device which
is connected by two Smart Array 462 to a MSA500. The host is a DL380 G4.
In contrast to MSA1000 the MSA500 is just directly attached, no HBA
involved.
The RAID appears as /dev/cciss/c1d0 and /dev/cciss/c2d0 and currently
I am forced to disable one path by lvm filter.

Without the lvm filter I get:

Found duplicate PV iXZqRZZg8X6pNn4RBrxRbFiK8O6txY0b: using
/dev/cciss/c2d0p1 not /dev/cciss/c1d0p1

So, I'd like to use both controllers but setup multipath on them. Anyone
around who succeeded with such a setup? It should work since HP offers
some Win*** driver for it, but I need to enable it with SLES9-SP3++ ;-)

The drives do not register as scis defices and to not appear in
/proc/scsi/scsi. Therefore, /sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/%n
does not work of course.

# multipath -v2 -d
dm names   N
dm table vgdata-netview  N
dm table vglocal-tivoli  N
dm table vgdata-oradata  N
dm table vglocal-tmp  N
dm table vglocal-optoracle  N
dm table vgdata-etc_tivoli  N
dm table vglocal-var  N

So just the LVM devices appear, vgdata is on the MSA500.

Any hints apprecciated!

Thanks and best regards,
Andreas Huck