[dm-devel] Re: PROBLEM: Oops when using dm-crypt with dpt_i2o

Philipp Tölke philipptoelke at web.de
Fri Aug 3 20:46:14 UTC 2007

Hi Andrew, hi everybody!

Thanks for the reply!

Andrew Morton wrote:
>> The oopses:
>>
>> #v+
>> BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 14001000
>> [...]
>
> So it looks like q->request_fn points at 0x14001000, which is in outer
> space.
>
> I wonder how that could happen, in the middle of heavy IO operations.
> Possibly a memory scribble.  I'd suggest you enable CONFIG_SLAB,
> CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB, CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC.

That doesn't change anything, apart from adding a line "DEBUG_PAGEALLOC"
to the oopses. Do I have to enable the debugging manually? After a quick
grep over the sources and a google-session I think not but I'm no
kernel-hacker.

> You could also try switching
> from CONFIG_SLAB to CONFIG_SLUB, then enable CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG.

Unfortunately the only change seems to be, that the Keyboard-Leds don't
flash after the crash. Everything else is the same.

Could a hardware-error cause this?

Thanks again,
--
Philipp Tölke