[dm-devel] Multipath-tools errors

Chandra Seetharaman sekharan at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 16 17:26:28 UTC 2007

First off, the "mpath_prio_rdac" is the path checker for the lsi engenio
controller. Is the Dell MD300 based on that controller ?

If it is _not_, then you should _not_ be using mpath_prio_rdac.

If it is, read on.

You need to use the hardware handler for the same controller, you can
setup your multipath.conf to use the "rdac" hardware handler.

Here is how your multipath.conf should look like:
-----------
devices {
        device {
                vendor                  "$vendor_name"
                product                 "$product_name"
                hardware_handler        "1 rdac"
                path_checker            rdac
                path_grouping_policy    group_by_prio
                prio_callout            "/sbin/mpath_prio_rdac /dev/%n"
        }
}
-----------

Note: replace $vendor_name and $product_name with appropriate vendor and
product information for the storage.

Hardware handler for rdac is available only in 2.6.23-rc1 and onwards
(if you are not using this version, do let me know which version of the
kernel you are using, even if it is in distro).

Where did you get the multipath-tools from ? From Christophe's website
or any distro(RedHat/SuSE) ?

And, as Malahal pointed, make sure you have /sbin/mpath_prio_rdac
available and is an executable.

Hope this helps,

chandra
On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 16:50 +0200, S. J. van Harmelen wrote:
> Oke, got a bit further...
>
> I now understand how to use the disks. Only thing thats not going oke is
> that I get these errors constantly (while formatting):
>
> end_request: I/O error, dev sdf, sector 30408704
> end_request: I/O error, dev sdf, sector 30670848
> end_request: I/O error, dev sdf, sector 30932992
> end_request: I/O error, dev sdf, sector 31195136
> end_request: I/O error, dev sdf, sector 31457280
>
> or (while editting a file):
>
> end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 966656
> device-mapper: multipath: Failing path 8:32.
> end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 966720
> device-mapper: multipath: Failing path 8:32.
> end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 96665
>
> And the device seems very slow...
>
> And also stil having this error: "error calling out mpath_prio_rdac"
>
> Any tips, pointers?
>
> Sander

    Chandra Seetharaman               | Be careful what you choose....
              - sekharan at us.ibm.com   |      .......you may get it.