[dm-devel] Re: [2.6.23 PATCH 13/18] dm: netlink

On 7/13/07, Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol 2ka mipt ru> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 04:31:15PM -0700, Andrew Morton (akpm linux-foundation org) wrote:
> > > Need a dependency on NET there?
> >
> > It's really sad to make DM dependent on the network layer.
> >

> Yes, it would be somewhat sad.  However one can presumably continue to use
> DM, just without "DM netlink events".

On my machine device mapper (lvm, raid) does not work without sockets,
(maybe not dm, but hotplug, which creates nodes, or configuration)
so it already depends on it. Hotplug depends on networking.

You missed the day when everyone started to depend on networking :)

Right, uevents (udev) depend on networking. One could still use the
/sbin/hotplug fork-bomb, but boxes that don't want networking are
often that small, that the amount of events the kernel creates today,
leads immediately to OOM, because of too many event processes forked
at the same time.

Kay