[dm-devel] Re: [RFD] BIO_RW_BARRIER - what it means for devices, filesystems, and dm/md.

Tejun Heo htejun at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 03:16:01 UTC 2007

Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Thu, May 31 2007, David Chinner wrote:

>>> The block layer already has a notion of the two types of barriers, with
>>> a very small amount of tweaking we could expose that. There's absolutely
>>> zero reason we can't easily support both types of barriers.
>> That sounds like a good idea - we can leave the existing
>> WRITE_BARRIER behaviour unchanged and introduce a new WRITE_ORDERED
>> behaviour that only guarantees ordering. The filesystem can then
>> choose which to use where appropriate....
>
> Precisely. The current definition of barriers are what Chris and I came
> up with many years ago, when solving the problem for reiserfs
> originally. It is by no means the only feasible approach.
>
> I'll add a WRITE_ORDERED command to the #barrier branch, it already
> contains the empty-bio barrier support I posted yesterday (well a
> slightly modified and cleaned up version).

Would that be very different from issuing barrier and not waiting for
its completion?  For ATA and SCSI, we'll have to flush write back cache
anyway, so I don't see how we can get performance advantage by
implementing separate WRITE_ORDERED.  I think zero-length barrier
(haven't looked at the code yet, still recovering from jet lag :-) can
serve as genuine barrier without the extra write tho.

Thanks.

--
tejun