[dm-devel] server hangs up when writing to encrypted partition

Arnd Kleinbeck arnd.kleinbeck at innoq.com
Thu Mar 8 14:22:34 UTC 2007

I just set up a new machine with debian sarge linux and built kernel 2.6.20.
Everything works fine until I write a big file (some GB) to an encrypted
partition.
The curious thing is the system just hangs. No errors, no warnings, no logs.
The current shell and all open connections simply get stalled. Only the serial
console endlessly repeats

     arcmsr0: abort device command of scsi id=0 lun=0

Seems to be the scsi controller...
For encryption I used cryptsetup 1.0.4 with LUKS support.

When I use the same partition formatted without encryption I have no
problems at all.

Can somebody help me with that?

BR,
Arnd