[dm-devel] Supporto for EVA3000?

Hannes Reinecke hare at suse.de
Thu Nov 8 07:22:58 UTC 2007

Benjamin Marzinski wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 12:08:59PM +0100, Domenico Viggiani wrote:
>> Good morning,
>> does anyone know if the old HP EVA3000 (HSV100) disk-array is supported with
>> dm-multipath shipped with Red Hat 4?
>
> If the product name comes up as HSV100, then this version of the
> firmware needs the storageworks hardware handler module to function optimally.
> This is not available on the RHEL4 kernel. I have never actually used
> one of these disk-arrays, but I believe that there is a firmware update for the
> EVA3000 that solves this problem. You should see the product name change to
> HSV110, and the device will be properly autoconfigured in RHEL4.
>
> If for some reason you cannot update the firmware, I believe that you
> can still use multipath with the device at a performance penalty. I
> don't recall the best configuration for that scenario off the top of my
> head.

No, you can't. The ominous 'Storageworks handler' Ben referred to is
actually the hp_sw hardware handler available in later versions.
This firmware requires a 'START STOP UNIT' command to be send to the
inactive path; the firmware will then activate it (and deactivate the
old path).
Hence you're pretty much stuck without it.
So a firmware update would be your best option here.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare at suse.de			      +49 911 74053 688
GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)