Re: [dm-devel] NIC and HBA based multipathing

Scott Moseman wrote:
On Nov 13, 2007 10:52 AM, Scott Moseman <scmoseman gmail com> wrote:
# ls -l /dev/sd* | grep -v sda
brw-------  1 root root 8, 16 Nov  7 14:43 /dev/sdb
brw-rw----  1 root disk 8, 17 Nov  7 14:43 /dev/sdb1
brw-rw----  1 root disk 8, 33 Nov  7 14:45 /dev/sdc1
I can use 'mknod sdc b 8 32' to generate a new /dev/sdc, which I can
fdisk and the data looks good, but once I reboot the /dev/sdc device
is once again removed (or not re-created, whichever the case may be).

Does anyone know why the /dev/sdc device might not get created on
boot?  Is this something that the iSCSI initiator should handle?  The

The iscsi initiator is not responsible for creating device nodes. If you see this:

SCSI device sdb: 8417280 512-byte hdwr sectors (4310 MB)
SCSI device sdb: drive cache: write through
 sdb: sdb1
Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 1, lun 0

then the initiator and scsi layer have done everything they can.

operating system?

It seems like a udev problem, but I do not know for sure.