[dm-devel] fdisk on a multipath device fails kernel partition re-read

Stefan Bader Stefan.Bader at de.ibm.com
Mon Oct 1 12:59:35 UTC 2007

Using device-mapper volumes for partioning is wrong in the way DM works.
DM devices do not use partitions and do not support the ioctl used to
update the partition table (exception for linear mappings with single
devices).  Partitions on multipath volumes are created by kpartx as
linear targets after creating the base multipath target.
The only safe way that should always be used is to remove the multipath
volume (multipath -f <mpname>), then call fdisk on the sd device
(optionally
call blockdev --rereadpt <dev> on all other paths) and the recreate the
multipath volume by calling multipath.

Mit freundlichem Gruß / Regards,
Stefan Bader

SW Linux on zSeries Development
Stefan.Bader at de.ibm.com

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen
  When all other means of communication fail, try words.