[dm-devel] Re: [2.6.24 PATCH 02/25] dm io:ctl use constant struct size

On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 12:16:29AM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> This change seems rather bogus, you're changing the ABI just to work
> around a bug in the compat_ioctl layer. Why not just do the compat
> code the right way, like the patch below?

The underlying ABI is not changing, I hope - the trailing padding in the
struct should not affect the processing of the data by dm, and I see no
reason to continue maintaining the fiction that the 32-bit and 64-bit
ioctls are in some way incompatible with each other when they aren't
AFAIK.

And yes, a follow-up patch can clean up our use of the compatibility
mechanism, going a little bit further than the patch you attached, I
hope.

Alasdair
--
agk redhat com