[dm-devel] defining paths with DDN 8500

Mike White homebrewmike at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 22:38:42 UTC 2007

Hello dm-devel-

I'm working with the multipathing package and a DDN 8500.  I've been able to
successfully configure  failover and failback.  The system is configured as
such:

    qla_port_1 ----  ctrl A port 4 ---- LUN 3 (LUN 7)
    qla_port_2 ----  ctrl B port 4 ---- LUN 7 (LUN 3)

Where LUN 3 is on a dedicated port to qla_port_1 and qla_port_2 is dedicated to LUN 7.

The problem that I'm having is all the traffic is going through qla_port_1,
qla_port_2 appears to be sitting idle until a failover.

To compensate, I've been using dmsetup to force the qla_port_2 ---- LUN 7
path.

Is there a better way than using dmsetup to do this?  multipath isn't an
option, as it negatively impacts performance.

Thanks-
  -Mike