[dm-devel] Desynchronizing dm-raid1

Martin K. Petersen mkp at mkp.net
Mon Apr 7 17:44:27 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Malahal" == malahal  <malahal at us.ibm.com> writes:

Malahal> Your problem is very similar to an iSCSI problem sumitted
Malahal> here:
Malahal> http://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=137902

Can't see it without a netapp account...

Malahal> Fortunately, you can detect the problem and the I/O can be
Malahal> retried if possible.

That's not entirely trivial.  Obviously the original data that matches
the checksum is gone.  And I don't want to blindly regenerate the
checksum from the new data (how do I know this was an "ok" kind of
corruption?).

The only one that has that knowledge is the filesystem.  And if the
filesystem needs to be integrity-aware, I'd much rather have it Do The
Right Thing than teach it to inspect and reissue I/Os that come back
with -EDANGERWILLROBINSON.

With ext2 at least this is not some rare corner case.  It happens
hundreds of times during an unpack of a kernel tarball.  We'd end up
burning many, many cycles doing retries.