[dm-devel] Re: dm targets with spaces in the name

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Fri Dec 5 01:59:38 UTC 2008

I can't guarantee that names with spaces in them have had much testing
as LVM doesn't permit them.  But device-mapper itself and dmsetup
are supposed to support them.

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 03:15:51PM -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
> Not sure what you mean there, but I actually took a look at the kernel
> code, and it was failing to parse the correct number of arguments, but
> it looks like dm_split_args() DOES understand backslash escaping.  When
> I backslash escape the spaces in the name, it appears to parse the
> correct number of arguments, yet linear_ctr() still fails with "Device
> lookup failure".

Tools really should not be passing path names into constructors - use the
major:minor format instead as the in-kernel code paths are much more
predictable, there are fewer opportunities for races and so it offers
better control to the userspace code.

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com