[dm-devel] multipath errors on first set-up

Benjamin Marzinski bmarzins at redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 20:19:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 04:22:07PM -0000, Rogan, Julian wrote:
>    Hi,
>    I am using multipath for the first time with little joy.

<snip>

>    based on some other documents I made the following changes to
>    /etc/multipath.conf

You can probably leave the entire /etc/multipath.conf commented out.
Everything should just autodetect correctly.

>    I ran
>    multipath -v3 to recreate I get the following:

<snip>

>    device-mapper ioctl cmd 14 failed: Invalid argument
>    message 3600508b300930230a7495ae1b9500074 0 switch_group 1
>    failed
>
>    Note sure if "path sdX not found in pathvec" relevant

No, that's supposed to be there.

>    anyway no mpaths have been created.
>
>    I hope there is someone out there who can give me some help with this.

No chance you can update to a more recent version of RHEL4?

The device-mapper message means the command you send to device-mapper
didn't work.  However, it looks completely sensible.  What version
of device-mapper are you using?

# rpm -q device-mapper

I'm guessing that you will see something like
device-mapper-1.01.04-1.0.RHEL4

device-mapper-multipath-0.4.5-6.0.RHEL4 needs
device-mapper-1.02.*

Look at things from my side, it definitely seems like RHEL 4.2 says it
uses device-mapper-1.01, which doesn't make any sense, since
device-mapper-multipath-0.4.5-6.0.RHEL4 was definitely compiled against
device-mapper-1.02, and I don't believe that the can both 1.01 and 1.02
can coexist on a system.

The easy solution is to upgrade to at least RHEL 4.3

If that's impossible, you can try to upgrade device-mapper to
device-mapper-1.02.02-1.0.RHEL4 or later.  This might cause all sorts of
dependancy issues. It may be easier to downgrade device-mapper-multipath
to device-mapper-multipath-0.4.5-5.2.RHEL4

I'm not sure why this incompatibility exists now, since it obviously
didn't when RHEL 4.2 was originally released. My best guess is that
device-mapper-multipath-0.4.5-6.0.RHEL4 didn't really get released
until RHEL 4.3, but that's just a guess.

Of course, if you already have device-mapper-1.02.* on your system, and
are still seeing these issues, then something else is going on.

-Ben