[dm-devel] Multipath Usage Guide available at LVM wiki page

Chandra Seetharaman sekharan at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 24 22:21:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 10:33 -0800, Pradipmaya Maharana wrote:
> Hi Chandra,
>
> Thanks for the document, it surely is helpful.
>
> I had a query (which I have asked in previous mails), the document
> does not talk about how to install SLES on multipath devices with LVM.
> Basically I tried installing with creating partitions (for both RHEL
> and SLES) and it worked fine; LVM worked fine for RHEL but for SLES it
> won't work.
>
> - It won't let me mount-by device-id for LVM
> - specifying the volume label won't help.

You could put your lvm on top of the multipathed dm-device. For which
you may have to disable lvm probing in the initrd phase. You can do this
by changing your /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and then running mkinitrd.

You have to change the filter line to be like this:

filter = [ "a|/dev/mapper.*|", "a|/dev/disk/by-name/.*|", "r|.*|" ]

Let me know if this helps.

> What am I missing.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Pradipmaya.
>

> On Jan 24, 2008 10:25 AM, Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I put the Multipath Usage guide in the LVM wiki page. Here is the link:
> > http://sources.redhat.com/lvm2/wiki/MultipathUsageGuide
> >
> > One can reach the same from the lvm wiki homepage
> > (http://sources.redhat.com/lvm2/wiki/HomePage) through the links "Usage
> > Documentation" -> "Multipath Usage Guide"
> >
> > Let me know if you have any comments/suggestions.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > chandra
> > --

    Chandra Seetharaman               | Be careful what you choose....
              - sekharan at us.ibm.com   |      .......you may get it.