[dm-devel] logical volumes not being detected

Hello, this is my first posting here and I'm sorry if this has already been
discused. All I want to know is what other modules/libraries other than the
device-mapper kernel module, lvm2 and the devmapper library do I need in
order to have my logical volumes detected.
here's my setup: one 160GB sata2 hdd; one 320GB sata2 hdd; a minimal
version of ubuntu (installed from debootstrap) and a custom compiled kernel
version 2.6.26 (I should mention that the kernel doesn't contain all of the
modules - I wanted it to provide only the features I need). I have created a
physical volume, volume group and logical volume from another ubuntu
installation. It is detected while using the live cd, and also if I
boot the minimal ubuntu with another kernel that has a full set of
features.

regards, Eduard