[dm-devel] Desynchronizing dm-raid1

Mikulas Patocka mpatocka at redhat.com
Tue May 13 03:28:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> On Tue, 6 May 2008, Herbert Xu wrote:
>
>> Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW: is it guaranteed for crypto functions that they read the source data
>>> only once?
>>
>> There is no such guarantee.
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> So we'll have to copy the sector to temporary space before encrypting it.
>
> I'll look at it.
>
> Mikulas

Do you think that it would make sense to add a flag to crypto API that
says that the encryption function reads the input only once? --- so that
we wouldn't have to copy the data when using an algorithm which doesn't
need it.

Or do you thint it would be useless (all major disk-encryption algorithms
read input buffer more times?) or it would create too much code
complexity?

Mikulas