Re: [dm-devel] Regarding dm-linear.c

Hi,
On Sep,Friday 12 2008, at 7:18 PM, rohit vashist wrote:

Hi,

I am currently working on device mapper and logical volume manager.My question is whether dm-linear.c 's function linear_ctr and linear_map is called or not when we do lvcreate.(or vgcreate,pvcreate).I am concentrating
on linear mapping only.I did strace but i m not able to figure it out.

pvcreate and vgcreate are completely independent from device-mapper driver. Only lvcreate and other lv
commands communicates with dm driver.

I'm not linux expert :), but I think that during lvcreate only linear_ctr function is called. Because it allocates "linear context" for loaded table. Context is probably some target specific configuration memory
area.

linear_map is probably called only during IO. When is IO issued on virtual device mapped to a real
block device.

Regards

Adam.