[dm-devel] Barrier support in device mapper

Andi Kleen andi at firstfloor.org
Thu Sep 18 13:47:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 03:46:31PM +0530, Nikanth Karthikesan wrote:
> Hi Milan
>
> I was able to talk to Alasdair on Freenode#device-mapper and he is also of the
> opinion full-barrier support is the way to go.
>
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Milan Broz <mbroz at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Andi's patch is not complete and I think there can be several problems with
> > it:
> >
> > - imagine DM device which has barrier support switched on by this simple
> > patch and you try to run pvmove on it. How is the barrier request processed
> > by underlying devices now?
> >
> > -> mapping can change online (pvmove, lvextend, lvconvert, ...) to more
> > complicated mapping - who reset barrier flag support?
> >

> I think these things will not create problems.

Correct.

> > - what about stacking devices? Imagine crypto - there is one device per
> > table possible under linear target (where you enable barriers by this
> > patch).
> > dm-crypt will need to implement some queue flushes to properly support
> > barriers. Another example - partition mapping over multipath (kpartx), ...
> > Are you sure that is it safe with Andi's patch?
>
> I do not have knowledge of dm-crypt, but yes, dm-crypt might possibly reorder.
> Either they should flush the queues or atleast return -EOPNOTSUPP if we need
> to use Andi's patch.

That's already done because it doesn't call dm_table_support_barrier() on
its target. Only the simple remapper does.

All the scenarios you guys are describing (except for pvmove which
just seems to be confused thinking) would happen when the ->barrier_supported
target flag wasn't there, but it really is.

> > It is dangerous to use that patch IMO, better not support barriers at all
> > here. That's why we need something more robust.
> >

> I understand the possible problems.

Sorry, but Milan is just wrong on all of them as far as I know.

-Andi

ak at linux.intel.com