[dm-devel] FS directly on top of dm devices?

Christopher Chen muffaleta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 00:47:35 UTC 2009

I run md over mpath dm'd devices, without partitioning. Of course, I
use dm-multipath to reach individual disks in a JBOD with two FC-AL
loops.

Lots of people like to do this to preserve stripe alignment.

I also use LVM, with the metadatasize option on creation of the PV, to
preserve stripe alignment.

Do you have a specific application in mind, like a database?

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Scott Dungan <scott at gps.caltech.edu> wrote:
> We recently had an engineer from a large storage vendor suggest that we make
> our file systems directly onto the multipathed devices without first
> creating underlying partitions or using LVM.  Having not run with this
> method in production before, we would like to gather as much information as
> possible first. Initial searches for documentation on this method has
> produced few results, short of a Suse/Novell document from 2005 under
> section 4:
>
> http://support.novell.com/techcenter/sdb/en/2005/04/sles_multipathing.html
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this or can point us to more
> documentation. thoughts or recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> Scott A Dungan
>

> --

Chris Chen <muffaleta at gmail.com>
"I want the kind of six pack you can't drink."
-- Micah