Re: [dm-devel] [RFC] dm snapshot based asynchronous replication

On Apr 16, 2009, at 2:02 AM, Lars Ellenberg wrote:

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 08:31:44PM +0200, christophe varoqui free fr wrote:
Should I understand there's no way for userspace to extract from the device mapper the cow'ed chunk list of a vanilla snapshot ?

Replying to myself, I found an instructive post from Lars of the drdb folks : http://markmail.org/message/7qdbp36tohasojuy (thanks for sharing Lars)

This script is easy enough to morph from its original snapshot reverting purpose to the replication model using the cow device as a changelog I described.

Thanks for the inputs. I'll keep posting if I something of general interest comes out of this stuff.

that perl hack was meanwhile ported to C by someone.
posted earlier this year on dm-devel.
also please do not ignore the Zumastor work.

It also seems that the script is not generic enough to handle the variety of exception stores that are coming. I just wrote a 'snapshot- merge' target that will do what you ask. I will post the patch shortly. However, this won't help you in RHEL5.

 brassow