[dm-devel] Re: dm-ioband: Test results.

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Mon Apr 27 13:03:32 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27 2009 at  6:30am -0400,
Ryo Tsuruta <ryov at valinux.co.jp> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> > Why is it that you repeatedly ignore concern/discussion about your
> > determination to continue using a custom grouping mechanism?  It is this
> > type of excess layering that serves no purpose other than to facilitate
> > out-of-tree use-cases.  dm-ioband would take a big step closer to being
> > merged upstream if you took others' feedback and showed more willingness
> > to work through the outstanding issues.
>
> I think dm-ioband's approach is one simple way to handle cgroup
> because the current cgroup has no way to manage kernel module's
> resources. Please tell me if you have any good ideas to handle
> cgroup by dm-ioband.

If you'd like to keep dm-ioband modular then I'd say the appropriate
cgroup interfaces need to be exposed for module use (symbols exported,
etc).  No other controller has had a need to be modular but if you think
it is requirement for dm-ioband (facilitate updates, etc) then I have to
believe it is doable.

Mike