[dm-devel] Issue with setting uid/gid/mode in multipath.conf

Chandra Seetharaman sekharan at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 20 19:25:06 UTC 2009

Hi Benjamin,

I have a small issue with setting the uid/gid/mode with multipath tools.

I have the following in my /etc/mulitpath.conf file
------------------
multipaths {
        multipath {
                wwid 3600a0b800011a1ee00003f834a3f7a65
                alias dev4
                mode    0666
                uid     1001
                gid     1001
        }
}
-------------------

After adding this, I do a "multipath -F" following by "multipath" (or
multipath -F followed by /etc/init.d/multipathd restart), I see the
attributes are set properly on the device.

I reboot the system, the device is created (under /dev/mapper) but
attributes are not set as defined in the multipath.conf file.

Have you seen this issue ?

I am using RHEL 5.3 ga version (kernel and tools).

I am not booting from a multipath device (IOW, there is no
multipath.conf in initrd).

Thanks,

chandra