Re: [dm-devel] Issue with setting uid/gid/mode in multipath.conf

Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
Hi Benjamin,

I have a small issue with setting the uid/gid/mode with multipath tools.

I have the following in my /etc/mulitpath.conf file
------------------
multipaths {
        multipath {
                wwid 3600a0b800011a1ee00003f834a3f7a65
                alias dev4
                mode    0666
                uid     1001
                gid     1001
        }
}
-------------------

After adding this, I do a "multipath -F" following by "multipath" (or
multipath -F followed by /etc/init.d/multipathd restart), I see the
attributes are set properly on the device.

I reboot the system, the device is created (under /dev/mapper) but
attributes are not set as defined in the multipath.conf file.

Have you seen this issue ?
I am using RHEL 5.3 ga version (kernel and tools).

yes we've recently also seen this issue and can reproduce it without
any need for a reboot, see https://bugzilla.redhat.com/518575

It seems to be a racy interaction of some kind between udevd and multipathd.

Cheers
-- Mark