[dm-devel] Re: ANNOUNCE: mdadm 3.0 - A tool for managing Soft RAID under Linux

Larry Dickson ldickson at cuttedge.com
Thu Jun 4 15:33:34 UTC 2009

Hi all,

As a user of both dm (in lvm) and md, I am not reassured by the "turf war"
flavor coming from the dm side. The idea that all functions should be
glooped together in one monster program, whether dm or the Microsoft
operating system, is not an automatic + in my opinion. The massive patch
activity that I see in dm-devel could be an indication of function
overcentralization leading to design risk, just as in Microsoft development.

A minor technical note follows.

> For things like suspend/resume of incoming IO (so a device can be
> reconfigured), maybe.  I recently added that so that I could effect
> raid5->raid6 conversions.

Suspend is not necessary, only barriers, as long as you define a hybrid
raid5/raid6 array via a moving watermark. Only those IOs that hit in the
neighborhood of the watermark are affected.

Larry Dickson
Cutting Edge Networked Storage