[dm-devel] Question regarding multipath WWID

christophe.varoqui at free.fr christophe.varoqui at free.fr
Mon Jun 15 21:07:41 UTC 2009

> when I am using "user_friendly_names" in multipath configuraiton,
> without using any 'alias', I am getting the "bindings'  file
> after executing 'multipath'.  But  when I am using "alias" in
> the configuration file, the bindings file is not being generated.
> Though in the man page says  "alias" will update the "multipath" names.

The bindings file is a place to store dynamically assigned names to
discovered multipaths. As a machine-handled file, it's place is in /var.
Whereas alias given names explicitely chosen by an admin, put in the
multipath config file ... in /etc.

Different role, different location. Just choose whatever fits your need
best. Cluster users tend to prefer controlling names across nodes, others
may prefer auto-assigned friendly names.

Regards,
cvaroqui