[dm-devel] Updated cluster log patch (take 5)

Jonathan Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Tue Jun 16 00:08:24 UTC 2009

On Jun 13, 2009, at 6:07 AM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 05:21:57PM -0500, Jonathan Brassow wrote:
>> The structure used for communication between kernel and userspace are
>> located in include/linux/dm-log-cluster.h.  Due to the frequency,
>> diversity, and 2-way communication nature of the exchanges between
>> kernel and userspace, 'connector' is used as the interface for
>> communication.
>
> Maye I misremember it, but isn't the connector code strongly
> deprecated
> in favour of genetlink?

I'm not sure.  I saw the generic netlink come in, but I didn't think
connector was deprecated.  In fact, I thought that 2.6.30 introduced
"pohmelfs" and "dst" (both written by the maintainer of 'connector').

If this is a show-stopper, you should tell me, so I can change it.
Otherwise, I may defer the change to a later kernel (since there is
not much time in this merge window).  The change would require
userspace to change their socket and bind calls... so perhaps you
think it might be better to get this out of the way now?

Please inform,
  brassow