Re: [dm-devel] RDAC path checker status change messages

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Charlie Brady wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Charlie Brady wrote:

 I think I need to retract that. The messages appear to be printed when the
 status is not changing, at least for the "path down" messages.

 I've patched scsi_dh_rdac.c so that SUN/LCSM100_I is included in
 rdac_dev_list[], and restarted iscsi and multipathd. I've now provoked a
 path failure via iptables. Here are the logs I see (with unpatched
 multipathd) - the duplicate message suppression from the rdac path checker
 is not working:

OTOH, on path recovery, the wrong message is displayed ("path down" instead of "path up") but the message is not repeated:

From multipathd/main.c, there are three conditions where the messages are
printed:

                        if (newstate != pp->state) {
                                int oldstate = pp->state;
                                pp->state = newstate;
                                LOG_MSG(1, checker_message(&pp->checker));
                        }
                        else if (newstate == PATH_UP || newstate == PATH_GHOST) {
                                LOG_MSG(4, checker_message(&pp->checker));
                        else if (newstate == PATH_DOWN)
                                LOG_MSG(2, checker_message(&pp->checker));

I think only the first might be required, and only the first will be seen if logging verbosity < 2 (default is 2).

So there are two path checker problems I can see (in multipath-tools-0.4.7.rhel5.13):

- the rdac checker leaves the message set to "path down" when path
  transitions back to up or ghost.
- multipathd prints the message on every PATH_DOWN except the first when
  verbosity is >= 2, and on every PATH_UP or PATH_GHOST except the first
  when verbosity is >= 4.

---
Charlie