[dm-devel] REQUEST for new 'topology' metrics to be moved out of the 'queue' sysfs directory.

Jens Axboe jens.axboe at oracle.com
Mon Jun 29 11:41:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29 2009, NeilBrown wrote:

> >>  Your phrase "drivers using ->make_request_fn directly" seems to
> >>  suggest you are looking at things very differently to me.
> >>
> >>  From my perspective, all drivers use ->make_request_fn equally.
> >>  Some set it to "__make_request", some to "md_make_request", others to
> >>  "dm_request" or "loop_make_request" etc.
> >
> > Neil, will you please stop these silly games. Stop trying to invent
> > differences based on interpretations of what you read into my replies.
>

> We do seem to be having trouble communicating don't we :-(
> Be assured that it is not my intention to play games, silly or otherwise.
>
> Maybe I should just try sending you patches.  Maybe that will
> make my meaning clearer.
>
> For the moment, I'm much more interested in the other question,
> that of whether I can avoid having a 'queue' directory introduced into
> md/dm/etc device directories in sysfs.

We already talked about this, several times. My answer is that it seems
pointless to begin with internally, and externally it just makes the API
worse since tools then have to know which device type they are talking
to.

So I still see absolutely zero point in making such a change, quite the
opposite.

--
Jens Axboe