Re: [dm-devel] unwanted kpartx partition delimiter persistance

Ron Peterson <rpeterso mtholyoke edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a strange problem w/ a new server.  Debian Lenny, kernel
> While getting our multipath setup going, we edited
> /etc/udev/rules.d/z60_kpartx.rules to change the partition delimiter to
> 'quack'.
> That's not the name we want in production, of course, so we changed it
> to 'p'.  The problem is, on every reboot, the /dev/mapper (and
> /dev/disk/...) names come up with the old delimiter - 'quack'.
> If I run 'multipath -F', and 'multipath -v2', then the device names are
> created as we'd expect them to.
> We have grep'd for the string 'quack' everywhere it we can think of, and
> it's nowhere to be found.  There is one kpartx config file in
> /etc/udev/rules.d only.  What could cause the old name to persist like
> this?

I do not have this distro available so my information may not be that
useful. but..

It sounds like there is a copy of the old rules in your initrd.

Did you update your initrd post adding "quack" and if so did you run it
again after removing "quack"?

Michael Anderson
andmike linux vnet ibm com