[dm-devel] Re: IO scheduler based IO controller V10

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Fri Oct 2 02:57:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 09:31:09AM -0400, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 03:41:25PM +0900, Ryo Tsuruta wrote:
> > Hi Vivek,
> >
> > Vivek Goyal <vgoyal at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > That time would not reflect disk time used. It will be follwoing.
> > >
> > > (time spent waiting in CFQ queues) + (time spent in dispatch queue) +
> > > (time spent in disk)
> >
> > In the case where multiple IO requests are issued from IO controller,
> > that time measurement is the time from when the first IO request is
> > issued until when the endio is called for the last IO request. Does
> > not it reflect disk time?
> >

> Not accurately as it will be including the time spent in CFQ queues as
> well as dispatch queue. I will not worry much about dispatch queue time
> but time spent CFQ queues can be significant.
>
> This is assuming that you are using token based scheme and will be
> dispatching requests from multiple groups at the same time.

Thinking more about it...

Does time based fairness make sense at higher level logical devices?

- Time based fairness generally helps with rotational devices which have
  high seek costs. At higher level we don't even know what is the nature
  of underlying device where IO will ultimately go.

- For time based fairness to work accurately at higher level, most likely
  it will require dispatch from the single group at a time and wait for
  requests to complete from that group and then dispatch from next.
  Something like CFQ model of queue.

  Dispatching from single queue/group works well in case of a single
  underlying device where CFQ is operating but at higher level devices
  where typically there will be multiple physical devices under it, it
  might not make sense as it made things more linear and reduced
  parallel processing further. So dispatching from single group at a time
  and waiting before we dispatch from next group will most likely be
  killer for throughput in higher level devices and might not make sense.

  If we don't adopt the policy of dispatch from single group, then we run
  into all the issues of weak isolation between groups, higher latencies,
  preemptions across groups etc.

More I think about the whole issue and desired set of requirements, more
I am convinced that we probably need two io controlling mechanisms. One
which focusses purely on providing bandwidth fairness numbers on high
level devices and the other which works at low level devices with CFQ
and provides good bandwidth shaping, strong isolation, preserves fairness
with-in group and good control on latencies.

Higher level controller will not worry about time based policies. It can
implemente max bw and proportional bw control based on size of IO and
number of IO.

Lower level controller at CFQ level will implement time based group
scheduling. Keeping it at low level will have the advantage of better
utitlization of hardware in various dm/md configurations (as no throttling
takes place at higher level) but at the cost of not so strict fairness numbers
at higher level. So those who want strict fairness number policies at higher
level devices irrespective of shortcomings, can use that. Others can stick to
lower level controller.

For buffered write control we anyway have to do either something in memory
controller or come up with another cgroup controller which throttles IO
before it goes into cache. Or, in fact we can have a re-look at Andrea
Righi's controller which provided max BW and throttled buffered writes
before they got into page cache and try to provide proportional BW also
there.

Basically I see the space for two IO controllers. At the moment can't
think of a way of coming up with single controller which satisfies all
the requirements. So instead provide two and let user choose one based on
his need.

Any thoughts?

Before finishing this mail, will throw a whacky idea in the ring. I was
going through the request based dm-multipath paper. Will it make sense
to implement request based dm-ioband? So basically we implement all the
group scheduling in CFQ and let dm-ioband implement a request function
to take the request and break it back into bios. This way we can keep
all the group control at one place and also meet most of the requirements.

So request based dm-ioband will have a request in hand once that request
has passed group control and prio control. Because dm-ioband is a device
mapper target, one can put it on higher level devices (practically taking
CFQ at higher level device), and provide fairness there. One can also
put it on those SSDs which don't use IO scheduler (this is kind of forcing
them to use the IO scheduler.)

I am sure that will be many issues but one big issue I could think of that
CFQ thinks that there is one device beneath it and dipsatches requests
from one queue (in case of idling) and that would kill parallelism at
higher layer and throughput will suffer on many of the dm/md configurations.

Thanks
Vivek