[dm-devel] snapshots: COW drive capacity and monitoring space usage

After having built my own distro up from source code (just to see if I could), I've got snapshotting set up successfully on my system using the kernel device mapping facility, dmsetup, and a COW drive. I understand from my reading that it is possible for the COW drive to run out of space while it is in use. Since it is not mounted and does not use a filesystem as far as I know, I am wondering how one might go about deciding on how big a drive to use, and monitoring space usage. Any information on this would be most appreciated.

J. Hart