[dm-devel] hunt for 2.6.37 dm-crypt+ext4 corruption?

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Sun Dec 5 13:24:32 UTC 2010

On Dec 5, 2010, at 5:21 AM, Milan Broz wrote:

> Which kernel? 2.6.37-rc?
>
> Anyone seen this with 2.6.36 and the same dmcrypt patch?
> (All info I had is that is is stable with here.)
>
> It still seems to like dmcrypt with its parallel processing is just
> trigger to another bug in 37-rc.

I've been using a kernel which is between 2.6.37-rc2 and -rc3 with a LUKS / dm-crypt / LVM / ext4 setup for my primary file systems, and I haven't observed any corruption for the last two weeks or so.   It's on my todo list to upgrade to top of Linus's tree, but perhaps this is a useful data point.

As another thought, what version of GCC are people using who are having difficulty?   Could this perhaps be a compiler-related issue?

-- Ted