[dm-devel] hunt for 2.6.37 dm-crypt+ext4 corruption? (was: Re: dm-crypt barrier support is effective)

Ted Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Thu Dec 9 20:13:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 12:10:58PM -0600, Jon Nelson wrote:

> You should be OK, there. Are you using encryption or no?
> I had difficulty replicating the issue without encryption.

Yes, I'm using encryption.  LUKS with aes-xts-plain-sha256, and then
LVM on top of LUKS.

> > If you can point out how to query pgsql_tmp (I'm using a completely
> > default postgres install), that would be helpful, but I don't think it
> > would be going anywhere else.
>
> Normally it's /var/lib/pgsql/data/pgsql_tmp (or
> /var/lib/postgres/data/pgsql_tmp in your case). By placing
> /var/lib/{postgresql,pgsql}/data on the LUKS + ext4 volume, on both
> openSUSE 11.3 and Kubuntu, I was able to replicate the problem easily,
> in VirtualBox. I can give qemu a try. In both cases I was using a
> 2.6.37x kernel.

Ah, I'm not using virtualization.  I'm running on a X410 laptop, on
raw hardware.  Perhaps virtualization slows things down enough that it
triggers?  Or maybe you're running with a more constrained memory than
I?  How much memory do you have configured in your VM?

    	     	       	   		      - Ted